Apricot Kolache Recipe•
Posted on January 13 2023
Growing up as a Czech kid in Texas, I have fond memories of the sweet smell of kolaches baking in the oven and coffee brewing on the stove. If my childhood had a scent, it would be that... and the beautiful aroma of brisket on the grill, of course.
Quick Czech Lesson:
- Kolache - A kolache is a pastry that was brought over to rural Texas by Czech settlers during the mid-to-late 1800s.
- Kava - Kava is the Czech word for Coffee
- Extra Credit: Domaci means Home in Czech
Depending on the passed-down recipe you may use to whip up these delicious Czech pastries, getting them just right isn't exactly easy for a novice baker like myself. So, since I haven't figured out how to turn back time, our Kava + Kolache Domaci Signature candle is literally the next best thing.
Want to try your hand at whipping up your own batch of Kolaches? I share with you a family Kolache recipe below. Give it a try and let me know how they turn out. Post to social media and tag @domacihome.
Na zdraví, friends!
Apricot Kolache Recipe
- 2 Packages of Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Cup of Lukewarm Water
- 1 Cup of Canned Milk
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 5 Cups Hard Wheat Flour
- 3/4 Cups Apricot Puree
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
- Scald the milk and pour over butter, sugar, and salt.
- Cool until lukewarm.
- Add flour to make a thick batter.
- Add yeast and eggs. Beat well.
- Add enough flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satin.
- Place in greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- When light, roll out one half inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Allow to rise again.
- When light, make a deep impression in the center for filling.
- Fill with apricots, sweetened and mashed, use 1 teaspoonful of fruit to fill each Kolache.
- Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- When Kolaches are baked, brush each Kolache with butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired).
- Makes about 3 dozen Kolaches.